Today was the last day of summer vacation. The kids have a mix of excitement and apprehension as they think about what is in store for them tomorrow. I am also feeling the same. I am excited for them, to see them grow and learn. I am nervous for them, and the things they will be exposed to. I worry that they are going to the right school for each of them, that they will have good friends and be good friends, that they will be kind, and remember who they are. All these feelings seem to multiply on the day before they start a new year. I have been amazed at the speed of the summer and that each year it seems to speed by a little faster than the last. Timberlyn is starting kindergarten. She will realize that her mom doesn't actually know everything. She will be stretched, and twisted in ways she never imagined. She will learn, she will be hurt, she will blossom. Apprehension. Excitement.
Thankfully, to help us get through the last weekend of the summer, my parents came to visit. We loved having them here! It was great to visit and catch up with them and update them on our summer adventures. They arrived here on Friday afternoon. We showed them our new bathroom (Yay! an official guest bathroom!) and visited with them that evening. The next day, we planned a bike ride on the Hiawatha Trail. Right on the Idaho-Montana border, this 15 mile ride is breathtakingly beautiful. We have been on the trail before, but it was my parents first time. It was fun listening to the kids describe the ride to my mom and watching her get more and more nervous about the "dark" tunnels and high trestles. We were worried about the weather, but it ended up perfect. A cool day that was just right for biking a 15 mile trail.
I love the trestles. The tunnels are cool, but the trestles are just amazing.
I think I got everyone in a picture at one time or another, we never managed to get a picture with all of us in one frame. Oh well.
We had only two accidents, The first was that I lost my sunglasses in the Taft tunnel. It is the first tunnel and the longest one. Just over 1.6 miles long. I lost them just over half way through I think. I went back to look for them, but couldn't find them. Miranda took a fall just after that tunnel with 13 miles left to ride. She was a trouper and climbed back on that bike riding the rest of the way. She was pretty tired after we were finished. But she never gave up even though her legs were done! She’s a trouper. Even Mom enjoyed the ride, although the heights and the kids playing near the edge of numerous places practically caused a heart attack!! I’m glad they were able to come with us.
Kaydra, Miranda, and Kanyon are terrifying their Grandmother by sitting on top of this tunnel. This was on the way back to the car. You get to ride through the 1.6 mile tunnel twice to get back to your car. Pretty fun!!
We are so blessed to live in such a beautiful place. If you haven’t done this bike ride, you should. It’s awesome.
The next day was Sunday, a day of much needed rest. My Dad came prepared with his stuff to portray Captain Moroni in Primary for Sharing time.
The kids loved it. Yes, our primary is small but I am pretty sure that this is the very first time that EVERYONE is looking at the person talking at the same time!! It was fun to see them react to a real person teaching them about the Book of Mormon. They had so many questions and were fascinated with his sword and his gold plates. Thank you Dad!!
That night we enjoyed some of Dad’s famous chocolate chip cookies with some homemade huckleberry/raspberry ice cream. A recipe I got from my Grandma Parry. We also had a pecan pie that we picked up the day before. Dessert for dinner is the best!!
Today, Monday, Mom and Dad planned to drive back to Idaho Falls. They had time for one more adventure so we went mini golfing. I don’t remember ever taking the kids before. We had free coupons so that was even better! Shylee was awesome. She would push that ball all over the green. If it happened to go the wrong way, she would pick it up and put it closer to the hole to give herself better odds! Then, when she got it in the hole, she would say, “Yes!” and shoot her hands up in the air. It was so fun to watch.
Thanks for coming Mom and Dad! It was sad to see you go, but we were so glad that you came!!

No comments:
Post a Comment